When I took a poll to see if y’all would mind me branching out from fashion on occasion, the response was overwhelmingly positive. Thanks for voting! For those that don’t want to read these off-topic posts, they’ll be categorized as such so you can just skip them. You’ve been warned: this post is one of those, but it’s also mostly just about Irene.
A few blogs I follow do this thing called “awkward and awesome Thursday”. It’s pretty straight-forward: a list of the awkward and awesome things that have happened to you in the very recent past. But since today is Monday, I’m making it A’n’A Monday instead. I think that’s a good way to break out a little bit, so without further ado…
Actually, a slight bit of further ado: I need to express my extreme gratitude that my apartment and borough got out relatively unscathed, and I hope the areas that were hit much harder are able to recover quickly!
- I sat through the Hurricane Irene prep/event/aftermath by myself in my apartment. Including sleeping on an air mattress in my living room so I wouldn’t have to schlepp my candles and flashlight into my bedroom.
- As I sat at work on Friday I got worried about the reports that a lot of grocery stores were running out of food and water. In a moment of desperation I went to the grocery store near my job, where they only had children’s shopping carts left. I used one and went through the entire grocery store hunched over like Quasimodo.
- Standing in line at Bierkraft to fill up my growler knowing I was going to be home by myself, while everyone else got beers with their friends.
- Nectarines. I’ve been on a real nectarine kick lately, they’re really delicious. I made sure to stock up on them at the grocery store near my apartment (yes, I went food shopping twice), because I didn’t think I could go more than a day without one.
- My job was closed today because the subways were looking dicey. Considering that next Monday is Labor Day, I am thrilled to have two four-day work weeks in a row!
- I completed almost an entire photo-book with shots from my cross country vacation (in 2004) this weekend (since I had already battened down the hatches and luckily still had electricity). I could also include this in the “awkward” category because my terrible paper scrapbook from oh-so many years ago does indeed look awkward. And so did I in 2004.